Frequently Asked Questions

Are my appointments at Counseling Services confidential?

In most situations, counselors will not disclose that they know you or know personal information about you unless you have released them to do so. They will not talk with your family, faculty, or friends unless you have released them to share information with those people. The confidential nature of therapy helps to provide a safe environment in which people feel comfortable talking about important things.

Counseling Services maintains records as regulated by the state of South Carolina Medical Health Code. Maintenance of records is in accordance with professional, legal, and ethical guidelines. Other than authorized staff, no one has access to these unless students release them in writing. The records do not become part of academic files. Conversations with counselors, records, and the results of psychological tests are considered strictly confidential. If a student wants this information shared with any person outside of Counseling Services, he/she must sign a release of information.

There are some exceptions to this policy. Counselors are legally bound to disclose information if there is a danger that a student may harm him/herself or another person. Counselors also are required by law to report suspected abuse or neglect of children and the elderly. Records may have to be released if they are subpoenaed in a court of law. Please talk to the counselor if you have questions concerning confidentiality issues.

Can I email my counselor?

We welcome your interest and contact. We also value your privacy. Note that email is not an appropriate method for individual questions regarding personal and confidential issues. It may be used for requesting general information regarding services, resources, or other campus information. If you choose to use email to communicate with your therapist, please understand the limitations of doing so.  We encourage you to use the Secure Message feature on the Patient Portal to discuss information related to your treatment.  Neither email nor secure messaging should be used in emergencies. In those situations, please come to the Wellness Center, call Campus Safety, or call 911.

Confidentiality is essential to the counseling process and cannot be assured with email. Email should not be used for urgent communication of any sort. If time is of particular concern for you, please call Counseling Services.

How do I get the most out of my counseling experience?

  • Keep appointments. If you find you are unable to keep an appointment, we ask that you will please cancel at least 24 hours in advance. This allows other students the opportunity to schedule during that time.
  • Be prompt. If you are late, please let us know so your counselor can wait for you or reschedule if appropriate.
  • Be an active participant. Take an active part in deciding how you want to use the time. Give feedback to your counselor, and be honest with yourself and your counselor.
  • Discuss your needs. If you want to discontinue counseling or have other concerns, share this with your counselor instead of just dropping out.

How much do counseling sessions cost?

There is no charge for Counseling Services for enrolled students. Students with issues that may require long-term individual therapy will be referred to mental health professionals in the community. If you are referred off campus for psychological services, you will be responsible for any fees you may incur. Your health insurance may cover these services.

What should I do if I want to get medication or work with a psychiatrist?

Medications are often useful in treating and managing symptoms associated with depression, anxiety, ADHD, post-traumatic stress disorder, and other conditions. In some circumstances, students may need follow-up visits and refills taken care of locally while in college. The Wellness Center staff can assist with referrals in the community or collaborate with on-campus medical staff. If you are already working with a counselor, they can discuss your options with you. If you are not working with a counselor, you can contact us to learn more about your options. Our on-campus medical staff can often assist students with their medication needs. In some situations, we will need to refer you to doctors in the community. We do have limited access to a psychiatrist. Students must being seeing on campus counselors in order to access the on-campus psychiatric services.

Wofford College Wellness Center does not prescribe or refill ADHD medications. We also do not provide diagnostic testing for Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder. See below for information on how to find a provider in your area who will do testing or prescribe medication:

To find a prescribing provider:

  1. Contact your health insurance provider to get a list of doctors in the area that are on your plan
  2. Contact the doctor’s offices to see if they are accepting new patients. Be sure to let them know that you will be requesting psychostimulant medications. Some providers do not choose to prescribe that medication so you will want to be sure before your first appointment.

Some people also choose to search on to find a therapist, testing provider, or psychiatrist in their area.

Can I be tested for ADHD or a learning disability on campus?

We do not provide diagnostic testing for ADHD or learning disabilities. For psychoeducational testing, you would need to seek an off-campus provider. Here are some providers in the local community that may be able to provide psychoeducational testing.

Local resources for psychoeducational testing (diagnostic testing for ADHD, learning disabilities, and other conditions):