The Mungo Student Center is a hub of student life. The building offers dining, fitness and recreation opportunities. Campus Union has offices here, and the building also houses the campus post office, campus safety offices and campus life and student development offices.
Wofford’s first student publication was The Journal, which began in January 1889. While primarily a literary magazine, The Journal also carried campus and alumni news in its monthly issues. The Bohemian, the college’s yearbook, began publication in 1908. The Aurora was actually the first college yearbook, but it was only published once in 1904. The Journal is now a part of the Bohemian. The Old Gold and Black, the first student newspaper, was published in 1915 and is still in print on Wofford’s campus today. These first publications were produced by the college’s literary societies, which no longer exist. The first yearbook, first newspaper and first student government began under the deanship of A. Mason DuPré, who was popular for his administration’s fairness with students. Appropriately, DuPré Hall, a sophomore residence hall that also houses offices for the college’s student publications, is named in his memory.
The Mungo Student Center, originally the Campus Life Building, completed in 1980, was named in 2020 for Maria and Steven Mungo ’81, a member of the Board of Trustees, a champion of experiential learning and the lead contributor to the building’s major renovation. The building is a center of student fitness, dining and recreation. The campus post office, campus safety offices and campus life and student development offices are in the building. Wofford’s Campus Union student government also has offices in the building and holds weekly, public meetings in Tony White, a space that was once a black box theater and is now a multipurpose student room and gathering space.
Paul Hardin was president of Wofford College for only four years, from 1968-72, but his administration saw significant changes in student life and in the campus culture. Our current Campus Union, judicial system and Code of Student Rights and Responsibilities came out of this time. Hardin continued efforts begun during the Marsh administration to integrate the student body. He hired the first African American administrator, Bob Leach, who served as assistant dean of students. The Office of Admission began to recruit African American students more actively, and the college scheduled its first athletics contests with historically black colleges during Hardin’s tenure. While women had occasionally attended Wofford, Hardin’s administration saw the first steps toward coeducation. In 1971, the college began admitting women as day students. Full residential coeducation began in 1976.
The Richardson Physical Activities Building was completed in 1995 and renovated in 2018. The building houses athletics administration and training facilities with a large hospitality room that overlooks Gibbs Stadium. The Joe E. Taylor Athletic Center, originally the Curry Building, which was the home of the college’s facilities department, was completely renovated in 2009 and named for the lead donor, Joe E. Taylor, a Wofford alumnus, trustee and former South Carolina Secretary of Commerce. The building also houses the college’s Human Resources offices, in addition to athletics training and offices.