Baseball was Wofford’s first sport, introduced to students by Union soldiers in 1976. The Terriers played for many years in historic Duncan Park before returning to campus in 2003. Snyder field was the site of many victories by the football team. It’s now home to men’s and women’s soccer.
Baseball was first played on campus in 1876, introduced to students by Union soldiers. This was the earliest sport played intercollegiately. The 1909 baseball team adopted a pit bull terrier named Jack, who inspired the permanent Boston terrier mascot, and the Terriers made headlines in 1913 when Ty Cobb played on campus. Wofford lost 9-8 to the professional team, but the headlines were more about a student brawl with Cobb, who was infamous for his temper, than about the outcome of the game.
At the time, the Terriers played on Law Field, which wasn’t regulation size. Eventually the Terrier baseball team moved off campus, playing in Duncan Park, until 2003. Gifts from Russell C. King ’56, former chairman of the Wofford Board of Trustees, and Toccoa Wise Switzer, another board member, brought baseball back to the campus. Russell C. King Field at Switzer Stadium is adjacent to Snyder Field, once the home of Wofford football.