These buildings are among the oldest on campus. DuPré Administration Building was one of the original buildings on campus, opened in 1854. The Kilgo-Clinkscales Home opened in 1892 and the President’s home in 1911.
Wofford’s campus was home to six buildings when it opened in 1854: Main Building, a home for the president of the college, and four houses for faculty, all but one, which no longer exists, have been repurposed over time. The curriculum of the late 1800s emphasized the classical tradition and the instillation of moral values. Students read the works of Caesar in Latin, studied the Bible in Greek and Hebrew, and took classes in chemistry, moral and natural philosophy, geology and political economy. Wofford students were expected to avoid profanity and drunkenness. Students were required to attend chapel. Today the curriculum has changed, but Wofford remains one of six private institutions in the Carolinas with active Phi Beta Kappa chapters, which is the most prestigious liberal arts honor society in the United States.
President Nayef Samhat, his wife, Prema Samhat, and their dogs call the President’s House home. Samhat joined the campus community in 2013. Since his tenure, he has secured the support to renovate or construct 11 campus facilities, thanks in part to a record $470 million comprehensive fundraising campaign and two strategic visioning processes, including one to address justice, equity, diversity and inclusion. He also has successfully led the campus through the COVID-19 pandemic.