Interested in scheduling your wedding at Wofford? Here’s pertinent information:
In order to schedule a wedding at Wofford, the bride, the groom or one of their parents must have a direct affiliation with the college. A direct affiliation includes any of the following:
- Present or former Wofford faculty and staff and their children
- Alumni of Wofford (persons who have completed one full academic year of study and are listed in the Registrar's Office) and their children
- Members of the Board of Trustees and official advisory councils and their children
Eligibility will be verified through the Office of the Registrar, Alumni Office or Personnel Department. Any falsification of information will result in the immediate cancellation of the reservation. Please check with the wedding director to determine your eligibility before proceeding with any wedding plans.
- Read this information carefully. All weddings and reaffirmations of wedding vows at Wofford College are governed by the information in this brochure. Couples must be familiar with this information.
- Telephone the wedding director at 864-597-4050 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to make a reservation for your wedding and rehearsal.
- Promptly complete and return the “Wedding Reservation Form and Contract” with your check to secure your reservation.
The following is a schedule of fees effective July 20, 2009:
- Leonard Auditorium - $750.00
- Mickel Chapel -$400.00
Total fee is due within two weeks of receiving the application. The fee reserves Leonard and Mickel for a four-hour block of time on the wedding day, plus a one-hour rehearsal the day before the wedding. See Sections 5.3-5.5 for more information, including a change in fees for holidays and holiday weekends.
Fees may be subject to change. The fee stated on the approved application will be in effect.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE FOR RESERVATIONS
- The wedding director handles all wedding reservations and processes applications. Reservations may be made no more than one year in advance of the wedding month and no less than six weeks before the wedding date. Once the reservation has been made, payment in full is due within 14 days. Your check, payable to Wofford College, and the “Wedding Information Form and Contract,” completed and signed, should be sent promptly to:
Office of the Chaplain
429 North Church Street
Spartanburg, SC 29302
- Receipt of the above items (check and contract) will secure your reservation. Upon receipt of the application and fee, the application will be approved and put on the official calendar. A confirmation letter and a copy of the application will be mailed to the bride. If, after two weeks (14 days) from the calendar entry date, the deposit and information form have not been received, the reservation will be canceled.
- Should the wedding party wish to cancel the reservation at any time, the wedding director should be notified.
- One postponement will be honored with the original deposit if (1) you call at least three months prior to the original wedding date, and (2) you reschedule at that time for a date within one year of the original wedding date.
- If the wedding is cancelled, the fee will be refunded, less a $150 processing fee, providing the wedding director is notified of the cancellation 30 days in advance of the wedding date. Otherwise, the entire fee is nonrefundable.
- Falsification of the information regarding Wofford affiliation will result in the immediate cancellation of the reservation without refund of the fee.
- Weddings may be scheduled on Saturdays between 10 a.m. and 8 p.m. with a maximum of three (3) weddings per Saturday. Rehearsals are scheduled for one hour on Fridays only at the following times: 4, 5 and 6 p.m.
- If requested and possible, one wedding may be scheduled on Sundays at 2 p.m., with the rehearsal on Saturday mornings at 10 a.m.
The college calendar may present conflicts with scheduling rehearsal times. Please verify rehearsal time and be certain it is included on your contract.
- When a reservation for a wedding is made, the chapel or auditorium is reserved for a one-hour rehearsal the day before the wedding and a four-hour block of time on the wedding day beginning two hours before the ceremony starts. This puts the starting time of the wedding ceremony directly in the middle of the time period. Staying within this block of time is absolutely essential. For example, if you reserve the 6 p.m. wedding slot, your wedding ceremony will begin at 6 p.m. Your reserved time would be 4-8 p.m., and your schedule would be:
Flowers delivered and decorations set/ Photographs
Guests seated with pre-wedding music
Wedding ceremony begins
Flowers and other decoration removed
- Leonard Auditorium and Mickel Chapel are reserved for four-hourblocks of time only. Additional hours, if available, may be added at a cost of $125.00 per hour. This fee must be paid at least 14 days before the wedding. No additional time may be added after 14 days prior to the wedding.
- The college requests that weddings avoid holidays and holiday weekends. In the event that the college agrees to schedule a wedding for a holiday or holiday weekend, fees are as follows:
- Leonard Auditorium - $1,500.00
- Mickel Chapel -$800.00
- Holidays include:
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving Day and weekend
- College Christmas holidays
- New Year’s Day
- Easter weekend
- Memorial Day and weekend
- July 4th
- In order to avoid any misunderstanding about the exact dates and times of your wedding and rehearsal, you must confirm your wedding date and time with the wedding director prior to ordering invitations. Also, please notify the wedding director of any changes in phone numbers or addresses of the bride or groom prior to the wedding so the contact information will be up to date.
- You must find and secure the clergy for your wedding. Any member of the clergy who is ordained and recognized by his/her denomination and the laws of the state of South Carolina may conduct a wedding at Wofford. Couples are advised to make arrangements for clergy well in advance. Rental fees do not cover the fees for clergy or musicians.
- The Wofford College chaplain is available on a limited basis to officiate at on-campus wedding ceremonies. Requests for such services should be made well in advance and must be made directly to the chaplain.
On the wedding day, hired professionals, wedding participants or others should not arrive at the College prior to the scheduled block of time.
Normally a piano and a pipe organ (Leonard Auditorium) are available for weddings. Wedding parties are responsible for obtaining their own musicians. Arrangements for obtaining a key for the organ must be made with the wedding coordinator. Couples are advised to make arrangements for musicians well in advance. Rental fees do not cover the fees for musicians or clergy.
You are responsible for printing programs if you wish to have them. The seal or logo of the college should not be used on the program. A brief description of the College and the history of Main Building/Leonard Auditorium/Mickel Chapel is available and may be included in your program.
FLOWERS AND CANDLES
Flower containers are to be provided by the wedding party. Adhesives may not be attached to furniture. Furniture should not be damaged in any way in an effort to secure flowers.
Dripless candles must be used.
Pictures (including video recordings) requiring flash or special lighting may not be taken during the service. Mickel Chapel and Leonard Auditorium must be used as presented, and that includes lighting. Photographs may be made before and after the service. Any photography during the service must be unobtrusive and use available lighting.
Weddings do not require sound support. However, should you desire amplification of sound for your wedding ceremony, you must consult with the conference coordinator at 864-597-4404. Arrangements should be made as soon as possible after the wedding is confirmed, but no later than one month before the wedding. The fee is $100.00 for this service and will be due within 30 days before the wedding.
BUILDING AND GROUNDS
- Signs or markers may not be posted on the campus. There are adequate signs on campus showing directions to the auditorium or chapel. Any signs, markers, ribbons, etc. posted are in violation of the guidelines and will be removed immediately by Campus Safety.
- No vehicles are allowed on college lawns. All vehicles must park in the designated locations. See Section 15 for details about parking.
- All weddings performed on campus must be approved by the Office of the Chaplain. Only marriage ceremonies pursuant to the state laws of South Carolina are permitted.
- Alcoholic beverages are not permitted in connection with a wedding.
- Birds or animals are not allowed in the chapels, with the exception of seeing-eye dogs.
- Nothing may be released or thrown at the wedding couple before or after the service, inside or outside the building, including rice, confetti, potpourri, birdseed, doves, butterflies and balloons. Flower girls may not drop petals in the building.
- Main Building is a smoke-free building.
DRESSING FACILITIES/WAITING AREA
- There are facilities in Main Building (downstairs Women’s Lounge) where the bride may dress; however, other members of the wedding party should dress for the wedding ceremony before arriving at the college. All personal items must be removed from the lounge when the bridal party moves upstairs. Items may be placed on the back pews, making them easy to retrieve after the wedding. It would be helpful to assign one person to double-check the lounge and the pew after the ceremony. Florist boxes and paper, garment bags, programs, etc. are to be removed from the chapel/auditorium.
- The chapel/auditorium must be left exactly as it was prior to the service. Wofford College is not responsible for any valuables left anywhere at any time in Main Building.
- Parking is available only in designated spaces on wedding days for the wedding party. You may use parking only during the block of time you have reserved for your wedding.
- There is no parking on Campus Drive.
- Please note that parking is not reserved for wedding rehearsals; therefore, please instruct members of your wedding party to allow ample time to locate parking or to have a driver drop off wedding participants.
- To get married in the state of South Carolina, you need to obtain a marriage license. The following requirements apply to both residents and non-residents:
The bride and groom must appear together at the office of a South Carolina county probate judge and file a written application. This application asks for the full name, social security number, age, and place of residence of the bride and the groom. It is a sworn statement that must be signed by the bride and the groom and then notarized in the office of the probate judge.
- A South Carolina marriage license is valid only for marriages performed in South Carolina. There is no expiration date for a South Carolina marriage license.
The college schedules wedding receptions through the conference coordinator at 864-597-4404.