The Daniel Building housed the college’s first free-standing library. The Sandor Teszler Library, opened in 1969, was a named for a Hungarian immigrant and Holocaust survivor who fled to the U.S. in 1948. The library houses the archives of the college and the South Carolina United Methodist Church.
The college’s first free-standing library was the Whitefoord Smith Library, now the Daniel Building. It was replaced as the library when the college completed the Sandor Teszler Library in 1969. Teszler was a Hungarian immigrant and Holocaust survivor who fled to the U.S. in 1948. He was the founder of Olympia Mills, and in retirement he was a favorite on campus, taking classes and talking with students. He audited more than 50 classes at Wofford in the 1970s and 1980s and helped begin Wofford’s permanent art collection with notable Hungarian paintings. Wofford’s library also houses the college and the South Carolina United Methodist Church archives.