Through required general education courses, the philosophy department aims to help all students:
- Think critically about the various options surrounding an issue.
- Recognize and evaluate patterns of argument.
- Develop facility with complex and abstract concepts.
- Develop an understanding of different points of view.
- Resist the tendency to make premature judgments.
I. For students who major or minor in philosophy, the department seeks to maintain a program of courses that will enable them to develop:
- A familiarity with the historical development of Western philosophy.
- A knowledge of fundamental concepts of philosophy and the ability to use those concepts correctly.
- The ability to state, criticize and defend a position philosophically.
II. By offering a wide range of interdisciplinary courses, the department seeks to:
- Enable students to recognize and understand the interconnections between diverse fields of knowledge.
- Encourage all students and faculty to consider the broader implications of their work and study.
- Foster the growth and development of intellectual community throughout