- + Employers highly value internship experience, so it will help you find a job.
- + Internships provide relative experience you can reference during graduate school.
- + NETWORKING!!!
- + Internships can help you figure out what you like and don’t like about a particular career path. This is great to know before you start applying for jobs
- + It is never too early to start getting internship experiences.
- + We recommend at least one internship before graduation.
- + Students usually intern during the summers, during Interim or part-time during the academic year.
- + It is smart to plan potential internships ahead of time if you wish to have a particular set of experiences or skills before you graduate.
- > Example: a series of internships with law firms, judges or a DA office if you know you want to go to law school.
- + Start early. Many applications are due during the busiest part of the academic year.
- + Visit the Career Center for information and resources.
- + Start a profile in Handshake, a good source of information about possible internships.
- + Do research on possible internships. Visit these websites for different opportunities:
For Government-related Internships
- + Dr. David Alvis and Dr. Rachel Vanderhill are also great resources when considering an internship.
- + A strong resume. Make an appointment with the Career Center for help.
- + One or two strong letters of recommendation. One or two strong letters of recommendation. Ask professors with whom you have a good relationship or former employers.
- + A cover letter. Use this to articulate your interests, passion and the skills that led you to apply for the job.
- + You may also need a writing sample. Keep a google doc or folder of graded papers for easy reference.
- + Wofford participates in the Capitol Hill Internship Program, which offers opportunities to intern during January or during the semester in Washington, D.C.
- + The Bard Globalization and International Affairs program, based in New York City, offers internships during the semester or over the summer.
- + The Career Center manages summer internship programs at the Aspen Institute in Colorado and in Tanzania.