Move-in and Move-out
Residence halls close for Thanksgiving, Winter and Spring breaks. During breaks, students do not need to move out their items, but are encouraged to take any important personal items with them including medication and valuables.
Residence halls typically close at 6 p.m. on the Friday before breaks and reopen at noon the day before classes resume. Students who have not requested and been approved for break housing are required to vacate their residences between these times.
Residence halls do remain open for the Fall Academic Holiday, usually held in October.
Break Housing Requests
Students who require an accommodation due to late departure or early return must complete the break housing request form available through the housing portal by the deadline listed on their housing portal. There are generally no additional costs or fees for approved break housing requests. Students who remain on campus without approval will be charged housing for a given session or a daily fee.
Approval for late stay or early arrival may be considered, but is not guaranteed, for the following reasons:
- Participation in a school sponsored group or event. We must receive this information from the faculty or staff member responsible for the group and filling out this form is not necessary if you are with an approved group.
- Significant travel restrictions, such as requiring international travel that is only available on specific dates.
- Sibling attending Wofford with a different check in/check out time may be considered
- Extenuating circumstances, as determined by the reviewer
Campus During Breaks
Students remaining on campus during a break should remember that campus dining options are typically closed throughout breaks. College offices may also be closed or open on special schedules. Students requiring assistance or experiencing emergencies during a break should contact Campus Safety, which is available 24/7, at 864-597-4911.
All students on campus during a break continue to be bound by the rules and policies of Wofford College, failure to abide by these may result in immediate loss of break housing among other sanctions.
- Halls close at 6 p.m. on Friday, November 17.
- Halls reopen at noon on Sunday, November 26.
- Requests for break housing are due Friday, November 10 at 5 p.m.
- Halls close at 6 p.m. on Friday, December 15.
- Halls reopen at noon on Sunday, January 7.
- Requests for break housing are due Friday, December 8 at 5 p.m.
- Halls close at 6 p.m. on Friday, March 29.
- Halls reopen at noon on Sunday, April 7.
- Requests for break housing are due Friday, March 22 at 5 p.m.
- Halls close at 6 p.m. on Friday, May 17 for all non-graduating students.
- Graduating students are able to remain on campus until 6 p.m. on Sunday, May 19.
- Requests for late departure are due Friday, May 10 at 5 p.m.
Preparing for Move-Out
We encourage students to plan ahead by making a timeline for packing, cleaning, moving out and planning for storage needs or travel. Students are asked to pack and remove all belongings and clean their room before departure. Donation boxes and dumpsters will be available around campus during the move-out period.
Wofford College is pleased to partner with an independent storage, moving, and shipping partner - Storage Scholars. Storage Scholars offer’s an all-inclusive moving & storage service for those who don’t wish to move out and store belongings themselves. Watch their “how it works video” here to see if Storage Scholars is a good fit for you. Here's how it works:
- Student signs-up online at storagescholars.com
- Storage Scholars comes to campus before move-out to distribute boxes, tape and packing supplies to everyone who has registered.
- Student packs their room, uploads photos of their items, locks their room and goes home!
- Storage Scholars partners with the Office of Residence Life to unlock rooms and move items to storage for the summer.
- In the fall, Storage Scholars returns all of the items to the student's new housing assignment before the student returns!
Students who choose to partner with Storage Scholars are responsible for all associated fees/charges.
Students will be able to obtain a check-out with their RA or other staff in the Office of Residence Life located in the Mungo Student Center. In order to check-out, students should follow all instructions provided by the Office of Residence Life via the Housing Portal. Students should lock their door before checking out and returning their key.
Students who choose not to complete the check-out process, or who do not follow check-out instructions will be charged $100 for improper check-out. Students who do not return their key following the check-out process will be charged $150 for a replacement key.
Common Charges to Avoid
- Remaining on-campus without permission: $100 per day + possible conduct sanctions
- Improper or late check-out: $100
- Missing key: $150
- Missing furniture: $100 minimum (final cost dependent on the specific item)
- Additional cleaning fee: $50 minimum (final cost dependent on condition of the room)
- Personal furniture removal: $100 per item
- Wall painting: $50 minimum
- Room Damages: dependent on the specific damage students should notify their RA or place a maintenance request if their residence hall requires maintenance work.