History note: Organized in 1903, Saxon Methodist Church served Methodists in the Saxon Mill Village of Spartanburg, SC. Members of the congregation worshiped in homes until building a small church in 1908. A later structure, built in 1933, served as the church until 2003. The church prospered for many years, but by the 1990s, the community around the church had changed. Most members left the church in May 2003, and the Annual Conference declared the church abandoned in June 2004.
Organization note: Arranged into membership, administrative, and historical records.
Access note: Unrestricted
Summary note: Records consist of the membership volumes from the late 1940s to the 1990s, property transfer documents, administrative reports, some historical sketches, charters, and photographs.
Citation: Cite as: Records of Saxon United Methodist Church, Archives, Sandor Teszler Library, Wofford College
Location: Archives, Sandor Teszler Library, Wofford College, Spartanburg, SC 29303
Related material: Spartanburg District Records
Administrative notes: Received by transfer from the Spartanburg District Superintendent January 2005. Property files transferred from the Conference Trustees in 2006. Processed November 2006 by Phillip Stone.
Finding Aid: Folder listing
Reports and Directory, 1994-95
Homecoming 1974-Membership Rolls
Christmas Memories, 1998
Building Fund Statements
Boy Scout Troop Charter
Property Files (received from conference chancellor)
Sale of Lot 2
Sale of Parsonage
Sale of Church Building Property
Recorded 1973 deed
Plat No. 7, 1964
Plat No. 7, 1957
Plat No. 7, 1957
Resolution, Sale of Parsonage, 1964
Mortgage, new parsonage, 1964
Deed, Parsonage, 1957
Deed, lots 3 and 5, 1973
Release of Reverter, lot 4, 1974
Deed, lot 4, 1905
Right of Way Deed, 1952
Balance Sheets, 2001-2002
Balance Sheets, 2003
Membership Volumes (2) on shelf