Wofford’s student publications — the Bohemian, The Journal and the Old Gold and Black — frequently have been forums for the arts on campus. Founded in 1889, The Journal initially covered campus news and sports as well as including a literary section. Especially after the 1930s, no doubt due to changing printing technology, The Journal and Bohemian began to feature more candid photography, more colorful covers and more student art. The covers of The Journal, several of which are pictured here, reflected seasonal themes, student life and even student photographic talent in later years. Several of these 1930s-era covers were drawn by student artist William Gladden ’39.
By Phillip Stone '94