South Carolina United Methodist Collection
The records of the South Carolina Conference of the United Methodist Church are housed in the Archives. These records, which date from 1785, include the minutes of the sessions of the Annual Conference as well as the conference newspaper, the Southern Christian Advocate. The Methodist Collection also has an index of the obituaries appearing in the Advocate from 1837 to the present. This index is now online in partial form.
The Methodist Collection is the official repository for the records of Conference agencies and holds the records of a number of South Carolina Methodist churches, an index of appointments to churches in the conference from 1785 to 1954, and published histories of the conference and many of its churches.
For assistance with the Methodist archives, please contact Dr. Phillip Stone at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone, 864-597-4309. The archives are open Monday-Friday, 8:30-4:30. It's best to call ahead to schedule an appointment before traveling to be sure we'll be able to help.
Methodist History Links
- The William Wynn Mood Photo Album
This album contains 131 photos of late 19th century Methodist bishops, ministers in South Carolina, and some lay individuals who were connected with the Mood family. Images are able to be downloaded. (Link will open in a new window)
- Twentieth Century Sketches photos (1901)
These photos come from the first pictorial directory of Methodist ministers in South Carolina. This album contains 179 images. The images are available for viewing or downloading. (Link will open in a new window)
- Twentieth Century Sketches, Revised photos (1914)
These photos come from the second pictorial directory of Methodist ministers in South Carolina. The album contains 167 images. These photographs are available for viewing or downloading. (Link will open in new window.)
- Builders: Sketches of Methodist Preachers (1932)
This album contains 249 photos of Methodist ministers who were serving in South Carolina in 1932. Local church historians may want to search through the directory for photos of their ministers. The images are available for viewing or downloading. The link will open in a new window.
- Methodist Ministers in South Carolina (1942)
This album contains 281 photographs of Methodist ministers in South Carolina who were serving as of 1942. These images are available for viewing or downloading. The link will open in a new window.
- Methodist Ministers in South Carolina (1952)
This album contains 345 photographs of Methodist ministers in South Carolina who were serving in 1952. The link will open in a new window. Photos are available for viewing or for download.
- Methodist Ministers in South Carolina (1961)
This album contains about 520 photographs of Methodist ministers in South Carolina who were serving in 1961. The link will open in a new window. Photos are available for viewing or for download. This album is currently being described, so many of the pictures will have no description.
The Advocate Centennial, June 24, 1937. This is the centennial issue of the Southern Christian Advocate, the Methodist Newspaper for South Carolina. (Link will open in a new window)
Finding Aids for Records Available at Wofford
Conference Agency Records
Local Church Records
Internet Sources for Methodist Research
Guidelines for Arranging and Preserving Church Records
- A. M. Chreitzberg, Early Methodism in the Carolinas, 1897 - indexed by Google Books
- A. M. Shipp, History of South Carolina Methodism, 1883 - in the archives
- Albert D. Betts, History of Methodism in South Carolina, 1951 - in the archives
- Warren M. Jenkins, Steps along the Way: The Origin and Development of the South Carolina Conference of the Central Jurisdiction of the Methodist Church, 1967
- Biographical directories of ministers in the South Carolina Conference - 1901, 1914, 1932, 1942, 1952, 1961, 1975, 1985, 1991, 2001
- The Southern Christian Advocate, published from 1837 to 1948, available in print or microfilm
- The South Carolina Methodist Advocate, published from 1948 to 1968, available in print
- The South Carolina United Methodist Advocate, published since 1968, available in print
- Wesleyan Journal, 1825-1827, available in microfilm
- Conference Journals, South Carolina Annual Conference
- Conference Journals, Upper South Carolina Annual Conference, 1915-1947
- Conference Journals, South Carolina Conference (1866) on microfilm, 1869-1962