Interior of the Sandor Teszler Library
Faculty Gallery


MillerVE

Dr. Vincent Earl Miller
Professor of English

Dr. Miller received his A.B. from New York State Teachers’ College and his Ph. D. from the University of Minnesota. Before coming to Wofford he was a member of the faculty at the Santa Barbara College of the University of California. Dr. Miller joined the faculty in 1957 and served the college until his retirement in 1989. During his tenure he published articles in the Yale Review, Comparative Literature, The Sewanne Review, and The National Review.

MorrowWS

Dr. William Scott Morrow
Professor of Chemistry

Dr. Morrow received his B.S from Philadelphia College of Pharmacy and Science, an M.S. from St. Joseph’s College and a Ph.D. from the University of North Carolina. Dr. Morrow joined the faculty in 1970 and remained in the service of the college until his retirement in 2001. During his tenure Dr. Morrow was known for his libertarian ideals.

MountWW

Dr. William W. Mount, Jr.
Professor of Religion

Dr. Mount received his B.A. from Northwestern University, an M.A. from Middlebury College and a M.Div., M.A. and Ph.D. from Yale University. Professor Mount joined the faculty in 1977 and remained in the service of the college until his retirement in 2003. During his tenure he taught course in Greek and German as well as religion. He also conducted New Testament short courses with lay persons and clergy. Dr. Mount also served as the Albert C. Outler Professor of Religion.

MoyerSR

Professor Samuel Robert Moyer
Professor of Art and Music

Professor Moyer received his A.B. from Albright College and an M.A. from Wofford College. Before coming to Wofford, he served as an army musician and served as the leader of the 162nd Army Band at Camp Croft in Spartanburg, SC until 1943. Professor Moyer joined the faculty in 1948 and served the college until his death in 1963. During his tenure he was responsible for the bringing many music programs and concerts to the college, including the Wofford Glee Club and Band concerts.

NesbittCF

Dr. Charles Franklin Nesbitt
Professor of Religion

Dr. Nesbitt received an A.B. from Wofford College (class of 1922), and his B.Div., M.A. and Ph.D. from the University of Chicago. He joined the faculty in 1939 and served the college until his retirement in 1967. During his tenure he served as Department of Religion chairman, the John M. Reeves Professor of Religion Emeritus, and was a charter member and officer of the Southern Section of the Society of Biblical Literature at Duke University. Dr. Nesbitt died in 1976.

NortonCC

Dr. Clarence Clifford Norton
Professor of Political Science and Sociology

Dr. Norton received an A.B. from Millsaps, an M.A. from Emory University, and a Ph.D. from the University of North Carolina. Dr. Norton joined the faculty in 1925 and served until his retirement in 1966. He was also a Methodist minister and authored many religious articles and served as acting president of the college from 1951-1952. During his tenure Dr. Norton was renowned for his Scrooge performances during the Christmas season, served as Dean from 1942-1949, served as Dean of Administration, was a charter member of Wofford’s Phi Beta Kappa Chapter, and authored History of the Democratice Party in Ante-Bellum North Carolina. Dr. Norton died in 1981.

OldsDW

Dr. Daniel Wayne Olds
Professor of Physics and Computer Science

Dr. Olds received his A.B. from Wabash College and his Ph.D. from Duke University. He joined the faculty in 1963 and served in various capacities until his retirement in 2000. He served as chairman of the Physics department and Director of Computer Services.  His work during the 1960s and 1970s pioneered computing at Wofford. 

ParkerWA

Professor William Alonzo Parker
Professor of Physics

Professor Parker received a B.A. from Davidson College and an M.A. from Duke University. He joined the faculty in 1958 and served until his retirement in 1978. During his tenure Professor Parker was a member of the South Carolina Academy of Science, the Southeastern Section of the American Physical Society, and a member of Sigma Pi Sigma. Professor Parker died in 2004.

 

 

 PattersonRA Professor Raymond Agnew Patterson
Professor of Chemistry and Biology 
Professor Patterson received an A.B. from Wofford in 1916, an A.M. from Wofford in 1917, and conducted post-graduate work at Columbia University and the University of North Carolina. Before joining the faculty, he served with the heavy artillery during World War I in France. After the war, he taught four years in Hastoc High School in Spartanburg. Professor Patterson joined the faculty in 1921 and retired in 1966. During his tenure he served as the chairman of the Chemistry department, was a recipient of the Algernon Sydney Sullivan Award, served as a bacteriologist and milk and water analyst of the Spartanburg Health Department and was a member of the S.C. section of the American Chemical Society (served as its chairman from 1939-1940). Professor Patterson died in 1972 
PattonEG

Dr. Ernest Gibbes Patton
Professor of Biology

Dr. Patton received his B.A. from Yale University, an M.A. from the University of North Carolina, and a Ph.D. from Duke University. Dr. Patton joined the faculty in 1963 and retired in 1987. During his tenure Dr. Patton was known as an advocate for exploring and learning about various ecological problems as well as an advocate for conservation works.

PegramHM

Professor Howard McIver Pegram
Professor of Mathematics and Astronomy

Professor Pegram received an A.B. from Wofford College in 1929 and an M.A. from Duke University. Before coming to Wofford, Pegram taught at Winter Garden, FL, was an assistant principal at Gaffney High School, served in the Navy during World War II, during which he taught at the Naval Academy Preparatory School at Bainbridge, MD. After the war, Professor Pegram taught at Limestone College before joining the Wofford faculty in 1955. During his tenure he was elected to the college’s chapter of Phi Beta Kappa and was known for his stargazing activities. Professor Pegram retired in 1973 and died in 1991.

PettisCS

Professor Charles Semple Pettis
Professor of Physics

Professor Pettis received his B.S. and M.S. from the University of Wisconsin. Before coming to Wofford he served as dean of Davis and Elkins College, and as president of Morris-Harvey College. Professor Pettis joined the faculty in 1924 and served until his death in 1958. During his tenure he was a member of the American Mathematical Society, and was active in the Scottish and York Rite Masonry. 

 

 

 

Gallery Page 5

Wofford History
Faculty Gallery Home

Gallery Page 7