The learning environment and residential living are central to the Wofford experience. The Residence Life Office at Wofford College forwards all medical, psychological or disability related requests to Accessibility Services, located in The Wellness Center, where the information is kept confidential. We seek to ensure consistency in evaluating requests while at the same time carefully exploring each individual situation. To aid this process, requests should include:
1. Documentation of the condition or need that is the basis of the request;
2. A clear description of the desired housing accommodation;
3. An explanation of how the request relates to the impact of the condition;
4. Possible alternatives if the recommended accommodation is not possible.
To evaluate requests based on medical, psychological, or disability related conditions accurately and equitably, Disability Services will need documentation. Documentation consists of an evaluation by an appropriate professional that relates the current impact of the condition to the request. Documentation should be typed on an official letterhead.
As appropriate to the condition, documentation should include:
1. The current impact of (or limitations imposed by) the conditions;
2. Treatments, medications, devices or services currently prescribed or used to minimize the impact of the condition;
3. The expected duration, stability, or progression of the condition;
4. The credentials of the diagnosing professional.
In addition to the basic documentation for a condition listed above, recommendations from the primary health care professional are welcome and will be given consideration in evaluating a request. Recommendations should:
1. Provide clear description of the recommended housing accommodations;
2. Connect the recommended accommodation to the impact of the condition;
3. Possible alternatives to the recommended accommodation;
4. A statement of the level of need for (or the consequences of not receiving) the recommended accommodation.
Students requesting special housing accommodations must do so in addition to following all regular housing procedures.
Students wishing to request Housing Accommodations should visit the Student tab on myWofford and follow the process under "Wellness Center Accommodations".
For further information about what is required to request Housing Accommodations, please consult the Guide to Accessibility services located on the menu to the left of this page.