DegreeWorks FAQ

Phone: 864-597-4030
Fax: 864-597-4019
Location: Dupré Administration Building, first floor

Your DegreeWorks audit is a review of past, current and planned coursework. It is not intended to replace face-to-face meetings with your advisor.

DegreeWorks Student Training Information

You, your advisors, the Registrar's Office and selected staff have access to your degree audit.

Yes. Like other processes you use through Banner Self-Service, DegreeWorks is accessed through myWofford with your secure login. Only you, your advisors and authorized staff will be able to view the information contained in DegreeWorks.

Your audit will outline courses needed to meet degree, major, minor, and/or concentration requirements within each specific block. You may then use this information to discuss your class schedule for the upcoming semester with your academic advisor. Requirements with a check mark in a green box are complete. Those with a tilde in a blue box are in-progress. Those displayed in red still need to be completed.

The information is refreshed each night. Any changes made today (e.g. grade changes or classes added/dropped) will be seen in DegreeWorks tomorrow. You may 'refresh' and 'process new' to update the page manually. Please see page 6 of the student training manual for details about completing this process.

Midterm grades do not display on degree audit. You will need to view those grades through BannerWeb. Final grades will display on degree audit once grades are submitted by your faculty and processed by the Registrar's Office at the end of the semester. Final grades are typically processed on the Tuesday after final exams. Thus, they will be available on your degree audit Wednesday morning, unless you do a manual 'refresh' and 'process new' yourself.

Yes. Once AP scores are received from the College Board and credit is granted, they are added to your academic history. Once the courses are part of your record they will appear on your degree audit and apply to the requirement for which they are approved. Likewise, transfer work is evaluated and entered into your academic history by the Registrar's Office and it will also appear on the audit toward the requirement that has been approved.

Any time there is a change to your academic history, registration, and prior to your meeting with your academic advisor. For most students, this will be at least four times a semester:
    1. Before you meet with your academic advisor to plan your class schedule the next semester.
    2. After you register to ensure that the courses you selected apply to your requirements as you thought they would.
    3. After your final grades are processed at the end of each semester.
    4. Any time a change is made to your record (grade change, transfer work, declared major/minor, registration change, etc.)

DegreeWorks is programmed to use as many courses as possible to fulfill as many requirements as possible. On occasion one course could fulfill two different requirements. Typically, DegreeWorks will apply the course to the requirement that has the most restrictive set of criteria. As you register for and complete additional courses, DegreeWorks will re-evaluate every course and requirement and apply them in the most advantageous way. For example, it is possible that a course that applied to the Religion requirement moves to the cultures and peoples requirement, if you registered for another religion course. If you have a course that does not appear in the block in which you expected, please contact your advisor.

Some requirements can 'share' courses. For example, you may be able to use the same course to apply both toward your culture and peoples requirement and your major. DegreeWorks is programmed to recognize when sharing a course between two different requirements is appropriate.

The first step is to contact your academic advisor. Your advisor can clarify the requirements for you and the courses that can be used to fulfill those requirements. If you and your advisor determine that there is an issue, contact the Registrar's Office referencing the course and requirement that is in question. Below are the most common issues and how to resolve them.

1. Major/minor (not declared, incorrect, includes a major you no longer wish to pursue):
If your major/minor is displaying as undeclared, you need to complete the major/minor declaration form available through myWofford and submit it to the Registrar's Office. If you change your major/minor, be sure to let the Registrar's Office know that you are declaring a new major/minor, but want to drop the old one. If you no longer want to pursue a major/minor you declared email the Registrar's Office so it can be removed.

2. The requirements displaying in my audit for my major/minor are incorrect.
Review the catalog year noted in the major/minor block. That is the catalog year associated with the requirements being presented. Typically, this is the catalog year under which you entered Wofford. If you prefer to use a more recent catalog year, run a 'what-if' audit with the new catalog year and speak with your advisor. If you determine the newer catalog year and requirements are appropriate, contact the Registrar's Office.

3. My transfer courses and/or classes do not fulfill the requirements I expected.
Your major/minor departments approve which courses will fulfill their requirements. If you are concerned about transfer courses applying to those requirements, contact your major/minor advisor. If the courses in question are associated with the general education requirements, please contact the Registrar's Office.

4. My advisor gave me permission to substitute a course, but it is not showing on my audit.
Substituting one course for another requires an exception. Your advisor may be able to enter the exception. If your advisor cannot enter the exception, ask them to contact the Registrar's Office to request the exception to be entered. The request must come directly from your advisor or department chair.

When looking at your degree audit, at the top, you will see a drop-down menu under 'Degree'. Select the drop-down arrow and choose the second degree. This will present the requirements associated with the second degree.

In the header block of audit, on the right side, your declared majors and minors are listed. If only one major is listed, then the second major has not been declared. Complete the major declaration form available on myWofford and submit it to the Registrar's Office. If both majors are listed, but the requirements for both are not displaying the issue may be associated with the catalog year. Contact the Registrar's Office to have the issue fixed.

You should use the 'what-if' option available in the menu on the left. Select the appropriate criteria (degree, major and/or minor, and catalog year) then click 'process what-if'. The default catalog year, is the year you entered Wofford. If you would like to use a more recent catalog year, you can select a more recent academic year. The 'what-if' presents the requirements for the criteria selected. If you decide you would like to change your major/minor, contact the appropriate department chair to have your major/minor declaration form approved. Forms are available on the student tab of myWofford.

What-if audits are not stored in DegreeWorks. They are produced on demand. Your advisor can run a what-if audit or you can save your audit as a PDF and print or email the audit to your advisor.

The best place to start is with your academic advisor. If you or your advisor still have questions, contact the Registrar's Office for further clarification.

Yes. When reviewing your audit, you will see the 'save as PDF' button at the top. Clicking that button will allow you to save a copy of your audit. This is a snapshot in time - what your audit is reporting at this moment. Your audit will change as you add/drop classes, update majors/minors, etc. It is a good idea to save a PDF of your audit each semester. You can track your progress and verify that your requirements are applying as you expected from semester to semester.

Your audit is a tool to provide you with academic information related to your degree progress. It displays courses required and completed in your degree program. The Registrar's Office does not provide degree audits to entities outside Wofford College. It is for advisement and graduation verification purposes only. Your transcript is your official academic record. It provides a chronological list of courses which you have completed and are currently registered. It also includes other academic information like honors and degrees awarded and dates of attendance. It can be released upon your request to third parties.

The GPA Calc tab is used to calculate the GPA you need based on the number of credit hours you have remaining to reach a desired GPA. For example, you have 3.35, but want to improve that to a 3.50 by the time you graduate. You need to earn 124 hours and have 48 gradable credit hours remaining (remember Interim is pass/fail, it is not graded). Based on that criteria you will need to average a GPA of 3.73 over the remaining 48 credit hours.

The term calculator option is on the GPA Calc tab. It allows you to calculate your cumulative GPA based on the grades you anticipate earning in each course for the current semester.

The advice calculator option on the GPA Calc tab. It is similar to the graduation calculator, but uses the hours you have completed (rather than those remaining) to give you an idea as to the grades you need to earn in order to reach a desired GPA. For example, you have 3.35, and have 96 earned hours. You want to improve your cumulative GPA to a 3.50. In order to do that you will need to 29 credit hours at a 4.00 OR 72 credit hours at a 3.73.

No. The calculators are an estimate — a close estimate — but an estimate none-the-less. The information they provide is based on the information you enter. If the credit hours or GPA you enter is off, the totals presented will be off. Also, there can be slight differences in GPAs based on rounding versus truncating.