Dr. Lewis Pinckney Jones
William R. Kenan Jr. Professor of History
Dr. Jones received his A.B. and M.A from Wofford College in 1938 and 1940, respectively. Upon completion he taught at school in Laurens County until the advent of World War II, in which he served as an officer in the U.S. Navy. During the war, he spent time in the Pacific Theatre as a Captain of various combat vessels. Dr. Jones joined the faculty in 1946 and retired in 1987. Professor Jones completed his Ph.D. in history from the University of North Carolina—Chapel Hill in 1952 (where he was elected to Phi Beta Kappa). During his tenure Dr. Jones was named secretary of the Wofford faculty in 1958, chairman of the history department in 1962 and the first holder of the William R. Kenan, Jr. professorship in 1972. All of these positions he held until his retirement from the college in 1987. Dr. Jones was a prolific writer of books on South Carolina history, some of his publications include: South Carolina: A Synoptic History for Laymen, The South Carolina Civil War of 1775, and South Carolina: One of the Fifty States. Outside of his Wofford career, he worked to promote historic preservation and awareness in South Carolina, served on the state board of review for the National Register of Historic Places, was president of the S.C. Historical Association. The awards Dr. Jones received in his lifetime were prestigious and numerous, a few of these include: The Order of the Palmetto, the creation of the Lewis P. Jones Endowed Scholarship fund at Wofford, and in 1993 he received an honorary doctorate from Wofford. Dr. Jones died in 2007.