It’s an honor to welcome you to Wofford. It was great to see so many familiar faces as you moved in.
My role today is to tell you a little about your new classmates.
But before I do, I want each and every one of you to know this… You were hand-picked to be here!
You were selected from the largest applicant pool in the college’s 167-year history. Our acceptance rate was the most selective ever. We’ve reviewed your application thoroughly. No matter how you compare to the impressive list of accomplishments I’m about to read, know this:
We’re confident you have what it takes to be successful here!
We’re convinced you will contribute in a positive way to this community.
And last, but not least, we’re all here to help you succeed.
SO, WITH THAT IN MIND…
THE WOFFORD CLASS OF 2025 IS MADE UP OF:
- 461 first-year students.
- In addition, 20 new transfer students join us this year.
- You are 235 men and 226 women.
- You come from 24 states and 9 countries, all the way from Cape Town, South Africa and Accra, Ghana, and from Mills Avenue, right here in Spartanburg.
- 44% are from outside of South Carolina.
THE CLASS OF 2025 HAS:
- 154 team captains (six captained three teams).
- 116 legacies.
- 109 student-athletes.
- 76 Palmetto Fellows.
- 53 first-generation college students.
- 43 attended Boys (25) and Girls (18) State.
- 41 club presidents.
- 15 editors of a high school publication.
- 11 Eagle Scout/Gold Award recipients.
- 11 Valedictorians (9) and Salutatorians (2).
- 10 student body presidents.
- 7 have a parent who works at Wofford.
Your average high school GPA is over a 4.0 with an average recalculated GPA of 3.77. This is the highest ever for an entering class.
24% are from races and ethnicities underrepresented in higher education.
Simply stated, you are the best prepared and most diverse first-year class in Wofford history.
FIRST-YEAR STUDENTS INCLUDE:
- AP Scholars with Distinction.
- A national champion jazz dancer.
- A two-time national champion clogger.
- State champions in lacrosse, golf, cross country, soccer, swimming, football and ice hockey.
- A black belt in Karate.
- A nationally certified emergency medical technician.
- A poet, who is writing a series dedicated to the Mars Rover Perseverance.
- All-State performers in basketball and fishing.
- A high school All American in baseball.
- Multiple skydivers.
- At least two people who recently got tattoos.
- A state champion golfer in South Carolina.
ONE OF YOUR CLASSMATES:
- Plays eight instruments.
- Published a book titled “The Aftermath of Human Impact.”
- Won the talent competition at Miss South Carolina Teen.
- Has 196 strikeouts.
- Spent a gap year in Jackson, Wyo.
- Can juggle four objects.
- Appeared on America’s Got Talent.
- Road tripped 6,000 miles this summer.
- Named future governor by The State newspaper.
- Lettered in four sports as a manager.
- Attended two proms with three girls.
- Taught himself the worm.
- Met Dolly Parton.
- Was bitten by a copperhead.
- Loves to dance to Hannah Montana songs (your roommate is going to be so excited).
- Recently took up the ukulele. (We probably should’ve made these last two room together).
- And finally, one of your classmates has had five concussions, fallen out of the top of a tree, was once stung by 14 yellow jackets and holds the fastest time ever recorded at her local go cart track. (Her roommate is the emergency medical technician.)
All of you have unique stories to share. We’re excited that you’ve made Wofford a part of your life’s story. Your accomplishments and experiences have prepared you well for what’s in store.
And today you begin a new chapter.
JUST IMAGINE WHAT THIS LIST WILL LOOK LIKE ON MAY 18, 2025, WHEN YOU GRADUATE 1,359 DAYS FROM TODAY.
- Graduated with honors.
- Inducted into Phi Beta Kappa.
- Received a full scholarship to medical school.
- Accepted to the Peace Corps.
- Started your first day in the real world as CEO of your own company.
- Became a Rhodes Scholar.
- Graduated by the skin of your teeth by pulling a B- on your last exam. Some of these accomplishments I am more familiar with than others.
These are just a few of the things accomplished by some of our recent and not-so-recent graduates. Great things are in store for you, too.
You have been invited to Wofford not for the things you’ve accomplished already but for all that is ahead of you.
We are honored by your presence here today, and we can’t wait to begin learning, laughing, working and playing together.
Congratulations to our new students. You have chosen well. Wofford is BETTER today because you are here.
So, here’s to the Wofford College Class of 2025!
Give each other a big hand!