Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
Wofford College will become a leader in diversity, equity and inclusion by proactively acknowledging the realities of our past, including our exclusionist history, respecting all members of its community, partnering with the Spartanburg community and empowering people to engage across difference with knowledge, curiosity and humility.
“Education includes encounters with people and experiences that push us beyond our levels of comfort and knowledge, and we must commit ourselves to embracing those differences, learning to respect all people and finding common ground.”
Dr. Nayef Samhat, president of Wofford College
View the 2019 Diversity Report.
A Vision for Wofford in the World.
Wofford College continues to work to make the campus community more diverse, equitable and inclusive. Some of our successes in the past five years include:
- Appointment of six additional faculty of color.
- Back of the College Research funding.
- Participation in the Universities Studying Slavery Symposium.
- Appointment of the first academic dean of diversity, equity and inclusion.
- CIC Legacies of American Slavery campus planning grant.
- AAC&U Truth, Racial Healing and Transformation program (internally funded).
- Search advocate program development.
- Participation in Teach.Equity.Now. to develop inclusive pedagogy.
- Launch of Diversity Speakers Series.
- Black Alumni Summit participation.
- Robust heritage month celebrations.
- LGBTQIA Ally Training.
- Participation in the Notre Dame Peace Conference.
- Black and Abroad Forums.
- Participation in the Interfaith Leadership Institute.
- Expanded scholarship opportunities for first-generation college students.
- Initiation of Discover U.
- NCBI (National Coalition Building Institute) Training.
- Opening of the Meadors Multicultural AMS House.