Natural Disaster Relief
Many people in the Wofford community are interested in helping contribute in some way to the relief efforts for those affected by hurricanes and other natural disasters. The Service Learning Center suggests the use of two reliable organizations for your contributions, The American Red Cross and UMCOR, the United Methodist Committee on Relief.
For The American Red Cross, you may contact the local Spartanburg chapter at 864.583.8000. You can access the national website at http://www.redcross.org/
For The United Methodist Committee on Relief, the not-for-profit international humanitarian aid organization of The United Methodist Church, you can access them through their website at http://gbgm-umc.org/umcor/. 100% of all donations made to UMCOR go directly to the relief efforts.
UMCOR also has these suggestions for those wanting to send tangible items for relief efforts. Quite often, the greatest need is health kits. Here is a list of specific contents needed for the kits.
- 1 hand towel (15" x 25" up to 17" x 27")
- 1 wash cloth
- 1 comb (large and sturdy, not pocket-sized)
- 1 nail file or fingernail clippers (no emery boards or toenail clippers)
- 1 bath-size bar of soap (3 oz and up)
- 1 toothbrush (single brush only in original wrapper; no child-sized brushes)
- 1 large tube of toothpaste (4.5 or larger, expiration date must be 6 months or longer in advance of the date of shipment to Sager Brown)
- 6 adhesive plastic strip sterile bandages
All items should be placed inside a sealed one-gallon plastic bag. No money, notes, religious or political literature, or other items should be placed in the kits.