lib1

Faculty Gallery 

 

ScheererWW 

Professor William Woodrow Scheerer
Professor of Physical Education

Professor Schreerer received a B.S. from Memphis State College and an A.M. from Columbia University. Before coming to Wofford, he served in the U.S. Navy during World War II and afterwards in the U.S. Navy Reserve. He joined the faculty in 1947 and served until his retirement in 1977. During his tenure he was a member of a White House Conference for Youth, a baseball scout for the Atlanta Crackers baseball club, a consultant for the state Department of Education, and was president of the South Carolina Reserve Officer’s Association as well as a member of a numerous amount of other community organizations. Professor Scheerer died in 1995.

ScottDM 

Dr. Donald Marcel Scott
Professor of Psychology

Dr. Scott received a B.A., an M.A., and a Ph.D. from Florida State University. Dr. joined the faculty in 1966 and served until his retirement in 2003. During his tenure he was a featured speaker in the John Q. Hill Memorial Lecture series, served as a cabinet member of United Way of Spartanburg County, was president of the F.A.C.T. Cancer Association in Spartanburg, and was president of the Greenville Concert Band.

SecondiJ 

Professor Joseph Secondi
Professor of Ancient Languages and English

Professor Secondi received a B.A. and M.A. from the University of Virginia. Before coming to Wofford, he served in the U.S. Army during World War II and taught Latin and Classical subjects at Converse College from 1946 to 1957. Professor Secondi joined the faculty in 1957 and retired in 1976. During his tenure Secondi took a leave of absence in 1959 to research the works of John Donne at Cambridge University. Professor Secondi died in 1997.

SeegarsJE 

Dr. James Edward Seegars, Jr.
Professor of Psychology

Dr. Seegars received a A.B. from the Citadel, an M.S. from the University of South Carolina, and a Ph.D. from the University of Kentucky. Seegars joined the faculty in 1962 and retired in 2001. During his tenure, Dr. Seegars wrote various psychology articles, was director of the Counseling and Research Center at Wofford, received the Vernon Caldwell Award at Wofford, was responsible for reviving the Wofford tennis program, and was chairman of the psychology department.

SeitzJL 

Dr. John Lewis Seitz
Professor of Government

Dr. Seitz received a B.A. and an M.P.A. from Syracuse University and a Ph.D. from the University of Wisconsin. Before coming to Wofford, Dr. Seitz served in the counterintelligence corps for the U.S. Army, and worked for the Agency for International Development as well as The Asia Foundation. Dr. Setiz joined the faculty in 1976 and continued his work as a professor of government until 2001.  In retirement, he continues to teach a global issues class at the college. During his tenure, Seitz published numerous articles in journals and newspapers and authored Global Issues: An Introduction.

ShippAM 

Professor Albert Micajah Shipp
President and Professor of Mental and Moral Philosophy

Professor Shipp received the master's degree from the University of North Carolina. Before coming to Wofford he was a Methodist minister and member of the South Carolina Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. When his voice began to fail in the late 1840s he turned to teaching and for two years served as president of the Greensboro Female College (1848-1850) and in 1850 he joined the faculty of the University of North Carolina. In 1851 he was named a trustee of Wofford College and in 1859 became the college’s second president. Shipp’s administration saw the college through the Civil War and Reconstruction. During the war, there were few students at the college and thus the college was dependent upon the fitting school to keep the college open. After the war Shipp’s administration began the arduous task of rebuilding the college’s endowment, which had been invested in Confederate bonds and lost at the war’s end. The Shipp years also saw the formation of the first fraternities on campus, and the formation of a campus YMCA. President Shipp resigned in 1875 to teach in the divinity school at Vanderbilt, and he died in 1887. For more information see his biography.

ShulerEH 

Professor Edward Hampton Shuler
Professor of Applied Mathematics

Professor Shuler received a B.S. from Clemson University. He joined the faculty in 1912 and served until his retirement in 1956. During his tenure he also taught at Spartanburg Methodist College. He was a 33rd degree Mason, a member of the board of trustees of school district 7, and a member of the State Board of Engineering Examiners. Nicknamed "Peg" for the surveying markers he and his students left around campus, Professor Shuler died in 1980.

SmithW 

Rev. Whitefoord Smith
Professor of English

Rev. Smith received a D.D. from the University of South Carolina. He joined the faculty for a brief stint from 1855-1859, upon which he left for a brief presidency of Columbia College. He rejoined the faculty in 1860 and served until his death in 1893. Before coming to Wofford, he had been a preacher on the Methodist circuit in South Carolina, specifically the Sandy River circuit, for almost twenty years.  After his death, his daughter contributed funds for the construction of a library, and the college's first library was named in his memory. 

SnyderHN 

Dr. Henry Nelson Snyder
President and Professor of English

Dr. Snyder received an A.M. from Vanderbilt University and various honorary doctorates, including one from the University of South Carolina. Dr. Snyder joined the faculty in 1890 and served until his retirement in 1942.  Following his retirement, he continued to live on campus until his death in 1949. Snyder was Wofford’s longest serving president. The Snyder administration faced a number of challenges during his long tenure. When he first assumed the office, Snyder faced a deteriorating campus and knew that the college needed to grow in the number of departments and students. Snyder raised funds for new and refurbished building; from these funds Main Building was remodeled in 1902, Cleveland Science Hall was constructed in 1904, the Whitefoord Smith Library in 1910, and the James H. Carlisle Memorial Hall in 1912. Snyder’s Tenure saw the increase in activity in Methodist higher education circles, the banning and then re-admittance of fraternities at the college, an increase in the Student Army Training Corps and the ROTC. However, Snyder’s biggest and most enduring achievement was the establishment of a Phi Beta Kappa chapter at Wofford in 1941. For more information see his biography.

StanburyWA 

Dr. Walter Albert Stanbury, Jr.
Professor of English

Dr. Stanbury held an A.M. and a Ph.D. He joined the faculty in 1935 and served the college until his retirement in 1946. During his tenure, he was one of the five members who received the college's Phi Beta Kappa chapter in 1941, and was on leave during World War II to serve in the U.S. Navy. After leaving Wofford he became the associate editor of Coal Age magazine.

StephensBG 

Dr. Bobby Gene Stephens
Dean of the College and Professor of Chemistry

Dr. Stephens received a B.S. from Wofford College in 1957 and an M.S. and Ph.D. from Clemson University. He joined the faculty in 1963 and served until 1980. During his tenure he was named Dean of the College (1972-1980). In 1980 he left the college to become president of MacMurray College. In 1986 he returned to the college to serve as Director for Institutional Advancement. During his second tenure at Wofford he was named Vice-President of Technology and Special Programs and taught chemistry. Dr. Stephens retired from the college in 2000.

StephensonMA 

Dr. Matthew Arnold Stephenson
T. B. Stackhouse Professor of Economics

Dr. Stephenson received a B.S. from the University of South Carolina and a Ph.D. from Tulane University. Dr. Stephenson joined the faculty in 1963 and retired in 2000. During his tenure he was appointed T.B. Stackhouse Professor of Economics, and wrote several articles for economics journals.

 

Gallery Page 7 

Wofford History
Faculty Gallery Home 

Gallery Page 9