lib2

Faculty Gallery 

 GreenB 

Dr. Boylston Green
Professor of English

Dr. Green received his B.A. and M.A. from the University of South Carolina and his Ph.D. from Yale University. Before coming to Wofford, Green had been president of Emerson College, Dean of Men at Middlebury College, and Vice-Chancellor of the University of the South. Dr. Green joined the faculty in 1956 and served until his death in 1965. During his tenure, Green was chairman of the Board of Trustees for the Blue Ridge School for Boys in Hendersonville, N.C.

 GreenHW  Professor Harold William Green
Professor of Economics and Accounting
 

Professor Green was a graduate of Shippensburg State College and received the Litt.M. in accounting from the University of Pittsburgh. Before coming to Wofford, Green had been associated with several corporations, including Standard Oil of Indiana and Westinghouse, and was a Marine captain in World War II. He joined the faculty in 1965 and remained in the service of the college until his retirement in 1986. During his tenure he served as chairman of the accounting department. Professor Green died in 1994 
 GriswoldSC  Dr. Susan Cass Griswold
Professor of Spanish

 Dr. Griswold earned her B. A. at the University of North Carolina, Greensboro and took her Ph.D. at Vanderbilt University.  She came to Wofford in 1980 to serve as chair of the department of foreign languages and professor of Spanish.  She helped modernize the teaching of foreign languages at Wofford and strongly supported expanding studies abroad.  She retired in 2009.  

 GrossJR 

Dr. James Richard Gross
Garrison Professor of English and Theatre

Dr. Gross received a B.B.A. from Wake Forest, an M.A. from the University of North Carolina, and a Ph.D. from Duke University. Dr. Gross joined the faculty in 1966 and retired in 2003. During his tenure, Dr. Gross was chairman of the Fine Arts Department, founder and director of the Theatre Workshop, and directed numerous theatrical performances at the college. Upon his retirement the cascading steps along the Liberty Trail were named in his honor.

 HarringtonJW 

Dr. John Wilbur Harrington
Professor of Geology

 Dr. Harrington received a B.A. from Virginia Polytechnic Institute and a M.S. and Ph.D. from the University of North Carolina. Before coming to Wofford, he had served in the U.S. Army during World War II. Dr. Harrington joined the faculty in 1963 and remained in the service of the college until his retirement in 1981. During his tenure at Wofford, Dr. Harrington annually conducted intensive four-week geological or archaeological studies for students enrolled in his interims, was chairman of the geology department, authored several geology textbooks and was known for conducting almost all of his classes out in the field. Dr. Harrington died in 1986


HarrisJW 

Dr. John West Harris
Professor of English and French

Dr. Harris received his bachelor's and master's degrees from Wofford College in 1916 and his Ph.D. from the University of North Carolina. Before coming to Wofford, his first teaching experience was as an Air Force instructor in World War I. He joined the faculty in 1920 and served until 1935. During his tenure at Wofford, Dr. Harris founded the National Beta Club in 1933 to promote scholarship and a sense of community service among high school students. After leaving Wofford in 1935, Dr. West went on to teach at Presbyterian College in 1941 and retired from that institution in 1960. Dr. Harris died in 1976.

HenryE 

Dr. Edmund Henry
Professor of English

Dr. Henry received his A.B. from Syracuse University and a Ph.D. from Rochester University. Dr. Henry joined the faculty in 1970 and served until his retirement in 1997. During his tenure he participated in S.A.T. workshops for high school students and coached the college bowl team. 

HerbertWC 

Professor William Chapman Herbert
Professor of Greek, Mathematics, and Education and Registrar

Professor Herbert received an A.B. from Wofford College in 1904, an M.A. from Wofford in 1922 and a M.A. and a professional diploma from the Teachers College at Columbia University in 1928. Professor Herbert joined the faculty in 1918 and served until his retirement in 1953. While at Wofford, he had a split career as an educator and an administrator; he served as headmaster of the Wofford Fitting School from 1918 to 1924, a professor of mathematics and Greek from 1924-25, a professor of Greek and education from 1925 to 1947 and as a professor of education from 1947 to 1953. On the administrative side he served as Dean from 1925-1926 and as the Registrar twice in the years 1926-1933 and 1937 to 1943. During his tenure he was elected member of Wofford’s Phi Beta Kappa chapter and served on the State Board of Education. Professor Herbert served as a professor of mathematics at Spartanburg Junior College after his retirement from Wofford.  He died in 1965.

HillJQ 

Professor John Quitman Hill
Professor of Mathematics

Professor Hill received his B.S. from Wofford College in 1947. Upon graduating from Wofford, he was selected to be a Rhodes Scholar and received a B.A. and an M.A. from Oxford. Before coming to Wofford, Professor Hill served in the U.S. Marine Corps during World War II. Upon completion of his studies at Oxford, he joined the faculty in 1953 and served until his death in 1972. During his tenure he served as chairman of the Mathematics department, was the John M. Reveves Professor of Mathematics, a member of Wofford’s Phi Beta Kappa chapter, and selected as Secretary of the Rhodes Trust for South Carolina. It should be noted that Professor Hill accomplished all of this without attending school until age 11, because illness prevented him from doing so. Upon his death, the John Q. Hill Memorial Lectures series was held in his honor at Wofford.

HubbardWB 

William Brooks Hubbard
Professor of Biology

Professor Hubbard received a B.S. from Wofford College in 1947 and an M.Ed. from the University of North Carolina. He joined the faculty in 1964 and served until his retirement in 1992. During his tenure he was known fro his specialty in genetics and genetic recombination. Before coming to Wofford he served in the U.S. Army during World War II and taught for fourteen years at Boys and Girls High School in Anderson, SC before joining the faculty. Professor Hubbard died in 2003.

HudginsWE 

Dr. Walter Edward Hudgins
Professor of Philosophy

Dr. Hudgins received his bachelor’s degree, master of divinity and Ph.D. from Duke University. Professor Hudgins joined the faculty in 1972 and served until his death in 1986. During his tenure he wrote plays that were produced in both Carolinas and in New York. Some of his works include “Pumpernickel Ice Cream” and “The Jeremiad.” An award for students who "perform well in class, but also display intellectual curiosity and zet for learning and life outside the regular academic classroom" is presented annually in his honor. 

HunterWB 

Dr. William Bridges Hunter, Jr.
Professor of English

Dr. Hunter received a B.S. from Princeton University and his Master’s and Ph.D. from Vanderbilt University. Professor Hunter joined the faculty in 1946 and served until his resignation from the college in 1957. During his tenure he served as chairman of the English department and was active in the Spartanburg Community including the Civitan club; he also served as president of the Spartanburg Little Theatre and the Spartanburg Symphony Orchestra. Dr. Hunter died in 2006.

 

 

Gallery Page 3 

Wofford History
Faculty Gallery Home 

Gallery Page 5