Faculty Gallery 


 CarlisleJH  Dr. James Henry Carlisle
President of the College and Professor of Mathematics and Astronomy

President Carlisle joined the Wofford faculty in 1854, becoming its third president in 1875.  He held all of these positions until his retirement in 1902.  



Dr. Donald Andrew Castillo
Professor of Chemistry

Dr. Castillo received his B.A. from Belmont-Abbey College, his M.A.T. from Winthrop University, his M. A. from the University of South Carolina, and his Ph.D. from Clemson University.  Described by President Benjamin Dunlap as a "stalwart" of the faculty, he came to Wofford in 1977 and retired in 2007.  He served as department chair from 1988 to 2007. 


Dr. Charles Edward Cauthen
Professor of History and Political Science

Dr. Cauthen received his A.B. from Wofford College in1917, his M.A. from Columbia University, and a Ph.D. from the University of North Carolina. After teaching at Columbia College, he joined the Wofford faculty in 1943 and served until his retirement in 1964. During his tenure he served as President of the South Carolina Historical Association, member of the State Archives Commission, and as chair of the History department. Dr. Cauthen was a well-known historian of South Carolina during the Confederacy; he was the author of several books on the subject including South Carolina Goes to War, 1860-1865. Also of note Dr. Cauthen became a Foundation Member of the Wofford Chapter of Phi Beta Kappa in 1941. Dr. Cauthen died in 1964.


Dr. William Pinckney Cavin
Professor of Chemistry

Dr. Cavin received his A.B. from Wofford College in 1945, a Master degree from Duke University and his Ph.D. from the University of North Carolina---Chapel Hill. Dr. Cavin joined the faculty in 1946 and served the college until his retirement in 1988. During his tenure at Wofford, Professor Cavin showed a deep devotion to the sciences. He served as a National Science Foundation Fellow, visiting professor at Brown University, an officer in Phi Beta Kappa, advisor to Wofford’s chapter of the American Chemical Society, an officer in the South Carolina Academy of Science, was the John M. Reeves Professor of Chemistry, chairman of the Chemistry department and secretary of the faculty. Dr. Cavin died in 2000.


Dr. Lawrence Harris Chewning, Jr
Professor of English

Dr. Chewning received his B.A. from Furman University, and his M.A. and Ph.D. from the University of Virginia. Chewning joined the faculty in 1957 and served until his retirement in 1981. Prior to coming to Wofford, he taught as a Naval Officers' school at Harvard University and served as a lieutenant in the United States Navy during World War II. During his tenure at Wofford he oversaw student publications, was President of the South Carolina Teachers of English organization, played an important part in the development and implementation of Wofford’s humanities program and published several works including “The Text of ‘Envoy to Allison.’” Dr. Chewning died in 1996.


Dr. James Alburn Chiles
Professor of German

A graduate of Central College in Missouri, Dr. Chiles was a journalist in St. Louis before earning his M. A. and Ph. D. at the University of Illinois.  He joined the faculty in 1914 and served until retiring in 1947.  The author of several noted German texts, including First Book in German and German Prose Composition, Dr. Chiles founded a German Club at Wofford, Deutscher Verein, which soon became Delta Phi Alpha, a German honorary fraternity.  Wofford has the Alpha chapter. 


Dr. John George Clinkscales
Professor of Mathematics and Astronomy

Dr. Clinkscales received his A.B. and A.M. from Wofford College (class of 1876), a Master’s degree from John Hopkins University and his Ph. D. from Cornell University. Clinkscales joined the faculty in 1899 and served until his death in 1942. During his tenure Dr. Clinkscales wrote several books, including How Zach Came to College and On the Old Plantation. The first book told the story of two brothers from western North Carolina who were Clinkscales' classmates - and the college canteen is named for one of them.  Also during his tenure, he was a candidate for Governor of South Carolina in 1914 and was awarded an honorary degree from Erskine College. The house in which the Dean of the College resides is named in his honor.


Professor Kenneth Daniel Coates
Professor of English

Professor Coates received his A.B. and M.A. from the University of North Carolina. He joined the faculty 1928 and served the college until his retirement in 1969. During World War II, Professor Coates served as editor of the Spartanburg Journal and was Director of Public Relations for Wofford.  Later he was appointed by Governor James F. Byrnes to a state committee to recommend students for federal Fulbright Exchange scholarships.  Professor Coates died in 1974.  His brother, Albert, wrote a book, My Brother, Kenneth, about Coates' life and tenure at Wofford.


Dr. John Cleveland Cobb
Associate Professor of English

Dr. Cobb received his B.A. from Wofford College (class of 1976), and his M.A., M. Phil. and, Ph.D. degrees from Rutgers University. Dr. Cobb joined the faculty in 1993 and served until his sudden death in 2004. During his tenure Dr. Cobb was coordinator of the Humanities program, a co-leader of the Presidential Seminar, served as Renaissance Chair for the Rocky Mountain Modern Language Association and was a key figure in the implementation of the Novel Experience. Following his death, the Cobb family endowed a faculty chair in his honor.


Dr. Lester H. Colloms
Professor of Philosophy

Dr. Colloms received his B.A. from Emory and Henry College, a B.D. from Emory University, and a Ph.D. from Duke University. Prior to coming to Wofford, Dr. Colloms was a professor of religion and philosophy at Union College. He joined the faculty in 1949 and served until his retirement in 1968. Dr. Colloms was the author of Dean Tillett of Vanderbilt. Dr. Colloms died in 1970.


Dr. Arthur Bledsoe Cooke
Professor of German and French

Dr. Cooke joined the faculty in 1895 and served until 1909. Dr. Cooke left Wofford College to become a United States Consul at Petras, Greece.


Dr. Philip Stanhope Sheffield Covington
Dean of the College, Acting President, Professor of English

Professor Covington received his A.B. from Emory University and his M.A. from Duke University. He joined the faculty in 1947. In 1950 he became Dean of Students and in 1953 Covington became Dean of Wofford College.  He served in this capacity until 1970, with the exception of a stint as Acting President from 1957-1958. The college conferred an honorary doctor of letters degree on him in 1959.  After his term as Dean ended, Professor Covington continued to teach English until his retirement in 1976. Dean Covington died in 1988.  




Gallery Page 1 

Wofford History
Faculty Gallery Home 

Gallery Page 3