21st Century Boarding Pass
The Wofford College 21st Century Boarding Pass program provides scholarships for intensive language study during the Interim term. Students who are enrolled full-time and are engaged in language study at the 200 level and who apply for JAN 424: Language & Culture through Study Abroad (language intensive programs only) are eligible. Recipients must plan to return to the 202 level of language study immediately following the Interim. The funds are designated for students who have completed the 200 or 201 level before the start of the study abroad experience.
Students who have not yet reached this level or who have surpassed it are encouraged to apply for other Wofford Travel Grants. Please note that the IES programs (JAN 425-427) in Chile, Spain and Italy are not language intensive programs and are therefore only standard Wofford Travel Grants are applicable (not 21st Century Boarding Pass).
Applicants must demonstrate the following qualifications:
· Successful completion of 200 or 201 at the time of study abroad
· Successful completion of 202 upon return from study abroad
· High level of motivation and interest in international experience
· Be in good standing with the College
· Good character and citizenship, and a willingness to serve as a representative for Wofford College and the United States
Application Materials (submitted online to the Office of International Programs, Dupre Administration Building)
· Qualified students must complete a Wofford Travel Grant application
· This application includes:
1. An academic statement of purpose (same requirement for any Wofford Travel Grant)
2. Two brief letters of recommendation from Wofford College professors (one must be
from the 200/201 language instructor; first year students applying during their first
semester are exempt from this requirement)
3. 250 word sample of composition skills in the foreign language
Applications will be submitted for review to the Wofford Travel Grant Award Committee. Selection will be based on overall academic qualifications, commitment to improving proficiency in the language. Scholarship funds must be used to cover the direct costs of the study abroad experience (tuition, room and board; books; round-trip air travel, etc.). To the extent possible, payments will be made directly by Wofford College to the sponsoring institution or agency. Prior to departure, students may also receive a stipend from remaining funds to help cover their living expenses during the foreign study experience. Click here for information regarding all Wofford Travel Grant deadlines.