Policy on Meal Plan Exemption
Wofford College is a residential college requiring students who live on campus to eat in the college’s dining facilities. This policy allows for few, if any, exceptions. Students who request an exemption from the college's board plan (meals) must complete the Meal Plan Exemption Request for each semester they are requesting an exemption. Please note that meal exemption requests will only be considered for those students who demonstrate a critical need to be off the meal plan. Students must provide the appropriate and required documentation. Exemption requests are reviewed at the beginning of each term.
Fall Semester and Interim:
- Exemption request will be reviewed during the month of August.
- Exemption request must be received two weeks prior to the beginning of the fall semester.
- Notification will be received four days prior to the beginning of the semester.
- Exemption request will be reviewed during the month of January.
- Exemption request must be received by January 15th.
- Notification will be received prior to the beginning of the semester.
- Exemption request will be reviewed during the month of May
- Exemption request must be received by May 15th.
- Notification will be received prior to the beginning of the summer term.
Applications received after the deadline(s) will not be considered until the next semester.
NOTE: Exemption is not guaranteed and the total room, board, and fees are due by the scheduled payment deadline(s) as outlined by the Business Office. Failure to make timely payment may result in a student's withdrawal from the college or inability to register for classes or housing.
The meal exemption process is as follows:
1. Once documentation is received in The Wellness Center, the director will review the request and speak to the student's physician and/or dietician (if necessary). If a student is making a request for a meal exemption based on voluntary dietary restrictions and choices (i.e. vegan or vegetarian), it is strongly recommended that the student consult with a registered dietician. If assistance is needed to meet with a registered dietician, please contact the Director of Food Service.
2. Once reviewed and if appropriate, students will be asked to make individual appointments with the Director of Food Service.
3. The Director of Food Service will make a recommendation regarding the ability of the food service program to meet the special dietary needs of the student requesting the meal plan exemption. The recommendation may be that the food service program:
- can meet most of students’ dietary needs and will make special arrangements ( i.e. adding Terrier Bucks, reduced meal plan) for those it cannot meet. If special arrangements are made the student will not be exempt from the meal plan, and no refund will be issued.
- cannot meet the special dietary needs of the student requesting the meal plan exemption, the student will receive electronic or written notice that he or she is exempt from the meal plan and the student's board fees will be adjusted.
The student will be notified via email as to whether the exemption has been approved, denied or requires follow up with the physician/dietician.