Wofford’s Grants Office is a collaborative effort of the Office of the Provost, the Office of Development, and the Business Office. The office mission is to assist faculty and administrators in identifying external funding sources (including foundations, corporations, and government agencies) for both institutional grants and those in support of faculty research and scholarship projects, to assist faculty members in the preparation and submission of grant proposals, to prepare and submit proposals for institutional support, and to administer grants and awards from external sources.
The office provides the following services:
- Identification of and research on potential funders
- Dissemination of Request for Proposal (RFP) opportunities
- Budget development
- Editing and document review
- Administrative review and signatures/letters of support
- Proposal submittal
- Post-award administrative services
What you need to know when considering applying for an external grant at Wofford:
- The first step is to reach out to Mary Beth Knight, Director of Foundation, Corporate, and Government Relations (FCGR) as soon as possible, at least one month before the proposal deadline. This conversation will ensure your plans are in line with the priorities and interests of the funding agency and will be reviewed in a timely manner internally at the College.
- If your research will involve human subjects and/or identifiable private information about them, you must obtain approval from Wofford’s Institutional Review Board (IRB). If your research will involve animals, you must obtain approval from Wofford’s Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC).
- If you are seeking federal funding, you must first ensure you have an up-to-date financial disclosure form on file with the Director of FCGR/Sponsored Research Officer. Updates are required annually.
- If the proposal requires commitment of institutional matching funds, approvals must be obtained well in advance through the Provost’s Office.
- Once your proposed submission receives internal approval, you will have a pre-award meeting scheduled with the Director of FCGR/Sponsored Research Officer and Grants Accountant to assist with budget development and prepare to meet any proposal requirements specific to the grant opportunity.
- If you receive the grant, you will have another meeting with the Director of FCGR/Sponsored Research Officer and Grants Accountant to go over post-award procedures.
Our Grants Office web pages also provide resources about grant writing, potential funding sources, and relevant Wofford forms and policies. Applying for external grants might seem overwhelming at first, but it is an excellent opportunity to further your teaching and scholarship and optimize your work with students. The Grants Office is here to support you and cheer you on.
We look forward to working with you!
External Grants Team
Mary Beth Knight, Ph.D.
Director of Foundation, Corporate, and Government Relations
firstname.lastname@example.org / Ext. 4215
Michelle H. Smith, CPA
Assistant Controller & Grants Accountant
email@example.com / Ext. 4235
Stacey R. Hettes, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Biology and Associate Provost for Faculty Development
104 Milliken Science Center West
firstname.lastname@example.org / Ext. 4659
Grant writing resources
Sampling of Private Funding Sources
Policies and Forms