Internship Main Page
Summer 2013 Computer Science Internships
- Missy Gaddy (Computer Science, Mathematics) - Michelin Corp.
- Jonathan Gallimore (Computer Science) - University of Washington
- John Jackson (Computer Science) - Milliken Corp.
- Graham Lenes (Computer Science) - REU at Clemson University
- Lamont McPhearson (Computer Science, Mathematics) - REU at Clemson University
- Nico Limogiannis (Computer Science, Biology) - Bioinformatics cancer research at Spartanburg Regional Hospital
- Caroline Odell (Computer Science, Mathematics) - REU at UNCC
- Carol Sadek (Computer Science, Mathematics) - Oak Ridge National Laboratory
- Alissa Williams (Computer Science, Biology) - Cold Springs Harbor
Summer 2012 Computer Science Internships
- John Jackson (Computer Science) - Milliken & Company
- Allen McAfee (Computer Science) - Greenville Technical College Foundation
- Katie Gaster (Biology, Computer Science & Mathematics) - Oak Ridge National Laboratories
- Alissa Williams (Computer Science & Biology) - Harvard Medical School
- Wesley Dillard (Computer Science & Biology) - Wofford College Information Management Department
- Lauren Lawson (Computer Science & Mathematics) - Wofford College Information Management Department
- Daniel Motter (Computer Science) - Wofford College Information Management Department
- M.J. Ellison (Computer Science & Biology) - Wofford College Information Management Department
- Missy Gaddy (Computer Science & Mathematics) - Goddard Space Flight NASA Academy
- Greg Valainis (Computer Science) - University of Washington Department of Bioengineering
- Mayfield Reynolds (Computer Science, Chemistry & Mathematics) - Computational science internship with Drs. Angela and George Shiflet
Summer 2010 Computer Science Internships
- Jesse Hanley (Computer Science) - Blue Waters Internship working with Drs. Angela and George Shiflet with high performance computing
- Glenn Hope (Computer Science) - National Institute for Computational Sciences
- Tahir Motiwala (Biology & Computer Science Papadopoulos Scholar) - Research with Dr. Anne Catlla
- Whitney Sanders (Computer Science & Mathematics) - Community of Scholars working with Dr. Natalie Spivey
- Andrew Strasburger (Computer Science, Mathematics, & Chemistry) - SC Space Grant's Palmetto Academy at MUSC
- Manan Gupta (Computer Science and Chemistry) research with Chris Wulf and directed by Dr. Anne Catlla
- Tahir Motiwala (Computer Science, Biology, Cincinnati Children's Hospital)
Summer 2008 Computer Science Internships
- Justin Brewton attended the REU program in Multidisciplinary Computing at the University of South Carolina.
- Manan Gupta - "Analysis of Protein Alignments between Genomes," the Institute for Systems Biology in Seattle, Washington.
- Brad Neff performed research on autonomous sail boats at NASA's Ames Laboratory in California.
- Marshall Washburn performed research at NASA's Langley Laboratory in Virginia.
Summer 2007 Computer Science Internships
- Shay Ellison attended the REU Program in Multidisciplinary
Computing at USC.
- Brad Neff, a computer science major, had an internship at NASA Langley.
Summer 2006 Computer Science Internships
- Heidi Bostic, a double major in computer science and chemistry, had a summer internship at Milliken Corporation.
Summer 2005 Computer Science Internships
- Christine Savvakis, a double major in computer science and mathematics, had a NASA/JPL 2005 Space Grant Internship at Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, California, as a member of the Advanced Computing Algorithms Group.
- Heidi Bostic, a double major in computer science and chemistry, had a NASA/JPL 2005 Space Grant Internship at Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, California. She worked with Dr. Suresh Seshadri of the Advanced Imaging and Focal Plane Technology Group on the characterization of a electroanalytical instrument suite searching for water and life on Mars.
- Matt Cambell, a computer science major, had a business-related internship at QS1 in Spartanburg.
- Katie Hutchens, a double major in computer science and mathematics major, attended Tennessee Technological University's Research Experience for Undergraduates Programin Network and Communication Systems. She worked with Dr. Mike Rogers on "Session Initiation Protocol."
- Stephen Ingram, a computer science major, had a business-related internship at ACS Technologies in Florence, South Carolina.
- Rebecca Koger, a computer science major, was a web designer at 7th Street Media, a web design company that is part of Morris Communications in Augusta, Georgia, during the summer between her sophomore and junior years.
- Robert Merting, a double major in computer science and business economics who is also earning the Emphasis in Information Management, was a member of the Milliken Challenge team working on a chemistry-related problem.
Interim 2005 Computer Science Internships
- Katie Hutchens, a computer science and mathematics major, has a position in Research/ Marketing, with an emphasis on web developing for TNT, the top-rated basic cable network. Her responsibilities will include working with the TNT Interactive Group in all aspects of researching, creating and implementing online marketing campaigns for the network. The TNT Interactive Group principally creates and manages the web site for TNT (www.TNT.tv).
Summer 2004 Computer Science Internships
- Christine Savvakis, a computer science and mathematics major, had a position at Honeywell Aerospacein Greer, SC.
- David Harmon, who is double majoring in computer science and mathematics, had a NASA/JPL 2004 Space Grant Internship at Jet Propulsion Laboratoryin Pasadena, California supporting flight operations on the Mars Exploration Rover (MER) Project.
- Ricaye Harris, a computer science major, was a participant in the Research Alliance in Math and Science Program at the Oak Ridge National Laboratory’s (ORNL) Center for Computational Sciences (CCS) in Tennessee, with the Networking and Computing Technologies Division.
Summer 2003 Computer Science Internships
Summer 2002 Computer Science Internships
- Michael Baker has an REU at Clemson University doing research on a Beowolf cluster.
- Sylvester Carstarphen has obtained an internship with Xerox Corp. in New Jersey.
- Crystal Craig has an internship with computing this summer.
- David Harmon has a position as a computer programmer at the Automated Trading Desk, LLC, Charleston, S.C. He is working on a variety of projects, including a system used for remotely logging in and changing configurations on various servers and an http and smtp mail server.
- Jill Hearn has an internship developing the website for the summer camp where she has worked for several years as a camp councilor.
- Diana Jackson has an internship with Prof. Susan Rodger of Duke University. The CRA-W Distributed Mentor Program will fund her research with Dr. Rodger. This internship follows others at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory and the University of Oklahoma’s Human-Technology Interaction Center.
- Kyle James has an internship with computing this summer.
- Barton Ledford has another internship with Milliken Corp., where he has worked for the past two summers.
Summer 2001 Computer Science Internships
- Stephen Elliott spent this summer working for MARC, Michelin Americas Research and Development Corporation. His first assignment was to create a program that read proprietary binary files that contained plots for tires in development, and create from them PNG image files. The majority of his summer was spent learning COM so that a presentation of his findings would help developers and managers decide if this is a technology worthy of future implementation.
- Patrick Hutchinson spent his summer interning at JPL in the area of software assurance under the direction of Dr. Martin S. Feather. Their ultimate goal was to use cost-benefit analysis to select, for a given project, the optimal set of software assurance activities. They had a risk management framework of capable of performing these cost-benefit analyses, but it was lacking the cost-benefit data. Incorporating the Cost-Benefit Analyses into Software Assurance Planning at JPL, presented at the Mid-Southeastern ACM Conference
- Diana Jackson spent her summer interning at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory under the Center for Scientific Computing Department. She worked with a group that developed a simulation framework , Overture, that is used to solve partial differential equations on complex moving geometry. Her job was to modify this pre-existing code to include vertex array functionality, which had just been introduced in the latest version of OpenGL's, 1.2. Enhancement of Interactive Graphics Capability in Overture
- Barton Ledford, a junior CS major, spent his summer working at Milliken & Co. as an intern for the Personal Productivity Team in the IS Department. The Personal Productivity Team is in charge of creating and maintaining Lotus Notes Databases as well as web development for the Internet and Intranet. Since this is a fairly new team, Barton was given the task of building and implementing a reusable code library for the team. He did this using a purchased software product called TeamStudio Librarian and information provided by the developers as well.