1. Black History Month Opening Event: South Carolina Representative Mr. Bakari Sellers is scheduled to speak to the Wofford student community on February 1st 11am-12:30pm, Place: TBA
2. Soul Food and Jazz Night: Come join us and listen to the jazzy Jamie Wright Experience, and celebrate Black culinary arts with a Soul Food Dinner from 6-7pm in Burwell on February 10th
3. Wofford's Book Club, sponsored by the Sandor Teszler Library, is reading "Why are all the Black Kids..." Thurs., Feb 10, 4-5:30 Tues., Feb 15, 4-5:30, and Thur., Feb 24, 4-5:30. The Book Club will meet in the Anna Todd Wofford Center.
4. Black History Literary Salon and Celebration Wofford’s Black History Literary Salon gives the Wofford and Spartanburg community the opportunity to honor African-descended activists, leaders, artists, and writers in a creative and communal way. There will be music, readings, and food in celebration of the African Diaspora. This event is free and open to the public.
Location: AAAS Room, February 20th from 5-7pm
Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Celebration and Day of Service—Wofford College Spartanburg, SC
January 17, 2011
The plan for the day is to meet in the Denny’s building downtown for free breakfast, t-shirts, and a speaker at 9:00 am. Volunteers will go from there to the service sites, and we will provide directions. Most sites will be done by lunch, but some might run over. If you need to be done by noon just let me know when you send me your information. The service site leaders will have a very brief evaluation for you to fill out at the end of the project, so please fill that out before you go.
• Gifts In Kind Center-Usual stocking
• Cross Cultural Institute-
• Charles Lea Center- Social interaction with members of the center
• The Haven- Helping clear space for more garden area- will have back up plan for weather
• Access Health- office rearranging and going through GIK storage
• Habitat for Humanity-Cleaning up Rice Center in UNA Community with Habitat Home Owners and Glenn Springs Boys
• YMCA- Painting lines in parking lot and helping clear plots for new
• construction for new Y
• SC School for Deaf and Blind- Building tactical signs for the seeing impaired
Contact Kelsey Leahy at 864.597.4405 for more information about Wofford's MLK Jr. Day of Service.
"Prisons, Race, and Masculinity" - Dr. Peter Caster from USC Upstate - Tues., Nov. 1, 7PM in the Olin Theater